Pageviews

In #IslaNgSiargao #Itsmorefuninthephilippines #SolobackpackerPinayJourney

Siargao Island Living


THE BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF SIARGAO



This place will give you an actual meaning of “Island Life” because of  different kinds of summer heaven it provides. Siargao Island, a paradise situated in the east side ocean of Mindanao, Asia’s best Island and the place I chose for my “3rd Solo Birthday Trip”. As a backpacker, I have prepared myself for 3D2N trips only. No matter what I did or missed, I make sure there would be reasons to come back. 





Booked my flight departing from Clark to Del Carmen Airport and for those who’s planning to visit Siargao, I suggest that you choose the window seat on the right wing for a better view of the island. 
We landed at the airport after flying for two and a half hour. 

GENERAL LUNA, SIARGAO

From the airport, I rode in a habal-habal going to the center of Siargao, the General Luna, for P400. Hunted for a cheap accommodation and I luckily found Footprints Homestay that offers P600 per night for kubo type single fan room. 


General Luna, like I’ve said, the heart of Siargao. This is where you will find most of accommodations, different type of diners, spas, souvenir stores, bike, motorcycle and four-wheels rentals, tattoo shop and so on. 


As I’ve explored the place, I met a new friend named Lala. A very pretty local who’s perfect description of an Island Girl that I’ve been dreaming of. Tattoos all over her nicely tanned skin, great slim body figure and dyed wavy hair. We chatted for about an hour talking about the places in Siargao that I should visit (though I have already studied about that before flying) and she is a real chic to be honest. 





WHAT TO DO IN SIARGAO 


RENT A MOTORCYCLE TO EXPLORE THE ISLAND. 

If you can drive a motorcycle, then you are a very lucky traveler because you’ll enjoy exploring the island on two wheels! 
I’m very thankful that my daddy taught me how to drive a motorcycle when I was in highschool. It is way more convenient for the tourists to rent a motorcycle for either P500 a day, gasoline included than to rent a car for P2500/day. 



While driving, I almost see my self as stranger in my own country. Seems like foreigners fell deeply in love with this place because most of the tourists are outlanders and as a matter of fact some foreigners bought house and lot to live here. If I could just...nevermind! 

VISIT THE CLOUD 9 BOARDWALK 


Cloud 9 is the very popular Surfing spot. I’ve decided to have a quick visit here on my first day using a motorcycle because it’s just 30mins away from my inn to witness the sunset but apparently the best time to visit the place is during sunrise. 



However, I still enjoyed the view of huge waves while walking through the surfer’s boardwalk. You just have to pay P50 for environmental fee before entering. 



EXPERIENCE ISLAND NIGHT CLUB AT RUM BAR 





It’s almost dark when I head back and I had my dinner at the grill diner nearby. I ordered plain grilled chicken with Ice tea. Been looking for seafoods but no restaurants have it because they are near the surfing area which can’t sail by fishermen. Anyway, I remember what Lala told me, there’s no way I can leave Siargao without goin’ to their famous island night club. 


I paid P50 for habal-habal ride going to Rum Bar. I reached the bar at almost 8pm, was I early? Yes, super early! I ordered a glass of Mojito as I’ve waited for the band to start and while the songs were playing, I ordered 2 bottles of San Mig apple (way cheaper, eh?!) and enjoyed the rest of the night here singing and dancing with the beat in my seat like nobody’s watching. 

TREAT YOURSELF WITH CRÊPES



Night was still young, after buying a dreamcatcher, I walked around the area to search for someplace I could spend more time and I found Crêpes spot. The smell of freshly made crêpes were very inviting. It’s like my body automatically went inside and ordered my self one without even thinking. 

The boho-themed store is so cozy and relaxing. There’s some kind of small roof bar in front of it that plays acoustic songs which made my night really great!

WATER ACTIVITY IN SUGBA LAGOON

It’s my second day! To start up my day, had a breakfast of hotdogsilog and a cup of coffee at the Lumad restaurant before proceeding to my day trip. I have booked a habal-habal to guide me on my tour which cost P1500. Kuya Romeo, brought me back to Del Carmen early in the morning to catch the first boat ride and to find me a group to join (less expensive), I was really lucky that I found one and paid P500 for the ride to lagoon. 


We departed from the port at exactly 8am, first trip. We passed through the biggest Mangrove forest in the Philippines that is also the sanctuary of endangered salt walter crocodiles. We reached the lagoon after 30 minute boat ride. 


What a view! I mean look at the crystal clear water which made fishes looks like flying instead of swimming. The uniformed white and blue coloured boats added some beauty and the captivating scenery surrounded by different plants and trees.


 A girl guided me upstairs of two story building built by local government unit to cater visitors, and gave me table to put my things down. 

 The balcony upstairs shows the better view of this lagoon. 
It’s fun to watch foreigners teasing most of filipinos’ who can’t jump on the diving board, I didn’t either! It’s 10 or 15ft high and I climb there just to take photos. Lol. 





There are lots of activities here aside from diving. I kayaked for about an hour that cost P250 for single kayak. You can also do paddle boarding and bamboo rafting in the area. 



I enjoyed the rest of my stay kayaking while the sun is kissing my skin, aimless body work out and random group of friends and families who surely having a good time! 

STARE AT THE COCONUT TREE PARADISE

Aside from its waves and lagoons, Siargao is also blessed with countless Coconut trees. You can see trees alongside the road but there’s a specific point where you can view huge number of it from the top. This is what they called Coconut Tree Paradise. You will passed through it on your ride from the airport to General Luna and you can’t resist but to stop, take a look and be amazed by the pure green nature view. 

Just in front of it are small eateries where I had some buttered shrimp (finally, some seafoods) and sinigang soup for lunch but the main reason I dropped by was for the fresh buko juice that I had for only P10! Imagine! Before I forgot, Siargao is a plastic-free island. They had this law that restricts everyone from using plastics, in this case, they had this great idea of using a bamboo stick for straw instead of plastic. Well, it added taste (of bamboo) to my Juice. Lol. 



DROP BY MALINAO BEACH 

Because I only had 3 days to explore the island. I made a decision not to do island hopping: Naked, Guyam and Daku Islands and the Sohoton Cove Bucan Grande, it also happened that Magpupungko Nature pool is currently close.  
But I also made a promise that I must go back here sooner to explore those islands, to devour sea foods there and to add here my write-ups about that. Nevertheless, I got the chance to visit one of the most popular beach here meters away from the Coconut Tree Paradise. 


Malinao Beach, I must say my new favourite beach now next to Boracay. A very calm beach surrounded by Palm trees, its white sands are incomparable and way more powder-like than any other beaches. I spotted foreigners who enjoys their sun bathing because of the peacefulness of the place. 


While me, at one point of my trip, just sat there without doing anything but to look at the water, my feet playing the sands and smelling the sweet summer breeze. 

EXPLORING TAYANGBAN CAVE


Here’s a little adventure I experienced on my day trip. Did some 1hour caving in Tayangban Cave and as expected, I was so pleased by the shining limestones and stalactites inside the cave. 

At the other end, there’s great rock formations and some water you can jump into. It’s just an easy small and short cave adventures compare to the ones in Sagada but surely every cave has different structures inside that is worth a visit. 




They let me had a short dip in the nature pool outside the cave. Did the shaka hand sign with these bunch of locals and they even sang me a “Happy Birthday song” after I responded to their question why do I travel alone. 


Kuya Romeo let me see a wild crocodile which was caught crossing the road years ago. It was then brought to a cage but soon will be take over to their sanctuary. 


PICTURE TAKING AT THE BROADWAY 

Every tourist destination has this very famous landmarks which is perfect for picture taking and in Siargao it is located at the Broadway. There are also lots of small eateries and karaoke house in front of it. 




So that’s how my day trip ended. Quite short but unforgettable. Indeed there’s more to see and experience but for now I will cherish those places I’ve been to on this trip. ❤️

SURFING 

Headed back to my inn and rested my tired body then I thought of not wasting every single seconds so I quickly get up and guess where my feet took me. 


So I went back to Cloud 9 because it feels like it’s the perfect time to try the waves of Siargao and find out why it is dubbed as the Surfing Capital of the country. 


It is almost sunset when I reached Cloud 9 and I thought it would be impossible for me to go surfing because it’s getting dark and the waves are getting wild. But I talked to a local surfer instructor named Alex and he told me it’s just perfect for a nonprofessional surfers like me. 

Instead of just renting a board, I’ve decided to pay for an instructor because it’s my first time to hop on a hard board since I used small board during my surfing experience in Baler and soft board in La Union, and also, I was really scared of Siargao’s waves by seeing those surfers from afar. But Alex assured me that there’s nothing to be afraid of as long as I stick with my board. 



So there it goes, I had a hard time walking through the water to reach waves and when I got there, Alex told me nothing but to do the techniques I’ve learned from my previous surfs and so I did. It was really hard for me to stand up in this kind of board. It is very long, wide and slippery and to feel the tiredness of my body, I almost gave up. But the waves kept on coming from different sides and with different kind, it’s getting larger and huger. It’s becoming painful to let the waves slap my sore body so I did my very best to floats up. In my nth attempt, I finally did it! It was such a relief to move yourself far from those monster waves. And Alex, who kept on cheering me, gave me another strike and before I knew, I was enjoying every waves and felt like flying in every surf that I made. 

I had a really productive but fun day. Can’t believe I’ve done all this in just a day and it is so rewarding to have witnessed a beautiful sunset while resting in your board. 

HAVE A DRINK WITH THE LOCAL SURFERS 

I was planning to stay until night in Cloud 9 hoping to witness the milky way sky. After my post-surf stretching, these local surfers, including my instructor, offered me a shot of Rum and since I’m staying, it’s best to join and have a small talk with them. 

I don’t usually drink hard beverages, I always prefer flavoured beer but I didn’t expect to enjoy this drink. They told me about Siargao, their places and their people; I told them why I’m here and what places I’ve been to so far, etc etc. I also met a girl who’s from Santa Maria Bulacan too and been residing here for five years. 



The night gets darker, I glanced at the sky every minute but unfortunately there’s no signs of Milky way appeared and that’s fine besides I’m having a great time with my newfound friends. Talking to them feels like home, like we’ve known each other for a long time. I don’t feel unsafe with a bunch of guys while having a solo trip because they’re more gentlemen than we all know and they treat people with respect. 

We realized we are the only person in the area. They took me back to the Broadway to have videoke night and shameless me, I sang lots of songs but I ain’t that drunk, swear! 

RIDE A BICYCLE AND TRY FRUIT BOWLS OF SHAKA CAFE

It’s my third and last day. *insert sad face. Woke up very early and immediately walked to the bicycle rentals fresh from the bed for an early ride to cloud 9 (again). On my way, I stopped by the souvenir shops on the roadside. They have keychains, Ref magnets, necklaces and bracelets for three for one hundred.  

I went straight to Shaka Cafe to try their famous blended fresh fruit bowl and an iced coffee. 

What a perfect way to start the day right by Cloud 9 surf break area. If my second day was exhausted, well my third day was more of relaxing kind of day. The cafe is very tropic. It’s just so nice to stay here and recall what had happened on my entire Siargao trip. 




KERMIT RESTAURANT 


No one could missed this restaurant. I had their best sellers with a calamansi juice. My cheat day goes very well. Leaving this island with a happy heart and tummy, I’m still craving for sea foods, though. 

ISLA CABANA RESORT

I still have plenty of time so I stroll going to the beach front. I found a secret passage to the beach and it is as if I’ve already experienced the famous Isla Cabana resort. I put my things in my bicycle for a walk. Seizing the moment before I leave this beautiful island and when I realised my time here is already up, I knew I had a good stay. 


I’ve experienced Siargao’s island living for specific number of days and those are one of the most memorable solo travel stories I’ll cherish forever. It comes with complete ultimate island life experience that includes my favourite mode of transportation, the habal-habal, while looking at the pure nature surroundings; everyone’s having tan lines and chillin’ around in their bikinis like it’s a usual thing; and the good summer vibes it provides. You will understand my amusement only if you’ve experienced it, too. But now, let me leave it with mixed emotions and unexplainable expressions. If some places left me speechless, well Siargao twisted my tongue with lots of words I’m panicking to say. 

I feel so grateful for places like this. They used to be my Happy place on surprise. It is true that random flight bookings will turn into hell of a trip. No one should ever be forced to walk through life alone, Nicholas Sparks said. But there will always be a time in our lives that walking through it alone will make you stronger, fiercer. Alone time is like pampering yourself and I’m glad I was able to give it a try again. We might have different preferences when it comes to indulging into a vacation, whether you prefer a trip with family or an adventure with friends, either way, important is you have save some time (and money) for it. 


What a trip to remember and place to adore. Spending days here in Siargao has taught me a lot of things, you just have to listen to the call of waves for us to keep our seas litter-free; feel the fresh air from the trees to keep the area clean; and the view of nature which reminds us to do good things always and stay calm as they are. Yes, changes are inevitable. But we must choose to change for better. This island will soon be like any other islands with huge hotels and crowded with people opposite from what it is today, you can’t control nor prevent that, but the choice to visit these places now, later or never is in your hand. Some things doesn’t come with people, trends or action, sometimes it comes with time. So when life offers you this, take it or leave it is not the question but now or never. 


I'll seey you soon, Siargao! 

Related Articles

0 comments:

MORE POSTS

Weekends in Buscalan Village, Kaling.

Popular Posts