Pageviews

In featured First hiking experience Mt. Balagbag Mt. Balagbag travel guide

Conquering Mt. Balagbag




Trekking 101

TruepAdventure

Hello 2016! Listed in my New Year's resolution is to make each month (week if possible) be filled with adventure trips with family and friends; to get lost with destinations I've never been before; to try new taste of foods; and to enjoy every long ride with the songs I fell in love with. Those things brings optimism and peace of mind. And this year should be started with a great one. Ladies and gentlemen, this is my first adventure for the year 2016.



I discovered Mt. Balagbag summer last year when I saw post of an FB friend and what makes me more interested with this place is when I knew that it's only somewhere in Bulacan.
 First thought: "Should I have my family with me? Definitely no! Mom couldn't and sister would never ever try this though Dad would love this kind of adventure but it must be a complete family trip, so yes, it's no." 
Second thought: "Should I bring my boyfriend here? Maybe yes, but he would prefer resting on a weekend, so it's a no. (it also happened that he has a work load on the planned date that's why he wasn't able to come as well)." 
 Third thought: "How 'bout my cousins? They aren't adventurous, ugh, No!" 
Fourth thought: "Will my friends be willing to join me? Yes, they will! Yes!" 
That very own moment I contacted all of them and happily announced my plan. All of them agreed but the only problem was the busy full load schedules. That time, (we're still in the summer last year) the plan was never been executed. A lot of things happened, a wrecking storms have passed, Halloween parties everywhere, girls and boys selling lanterns on the street and one of the group member went to Dubai recently. This year, 2016,as my body and mind are seeking for an adventure. I brought up this frustrated plan back in the conversation.

Trail


January 10, Sunday. With my team: Michael, the very patient driver; Adrian, the photographer; and Noemi, the supermodel! lol.  We started the journey at  3:00AM which I never thought would be as exactly as planned (too excited, huh!?)  We headed to the City of San Jose Del Monte for approximately 45 minutes and goes directly to the first landmark which is Barangay Tungko. As instructed by my friend who has been there before and from the blogs that I have read which says go straight to Jollibee and ask those tricycle driverson  how to get to the Licao-licao for hiking and Adrian ask one of them and we're very thankful for the easy directions that we don't have to use gps or waze. It was a long, dark, scary,and never ending rough road and we're almost preparing ourselves for a possible zombie outbreak in the area. (Yes, it really has to be Zombies only, no other than that lol) 

After a nerve-wrecking ride, finally we reached the Barangay Licao-licao. Time check: 5:00AM. We quickly had our registration which costs Php10/head. Of course, it would be a long hike, need to recharge. We were called by an old woman named Aportabela in front of Barangay Hall to have a coffee on her small bahay kubo and in a minute they opened their store. For our breakfast, we just had a cup of great taste coffee white for Php10/cup and our packed rice with adobong pusit prepared by Noemi the night before our trip and before we head up to the mountain she offered us an on-the-go food, everyone was surprised, it's an egg!! A boiled egg! Yay. Php8/pcs not bad at all. Since we are full and carrying heavy bags, we decided not to take any food aside from egg and water.

Silhouetting with Noemi. Great shot!


Italo, the wonderdog! 
 As we started walking uphill, we noticed a local dog from our behind who goes to our front and seemingly guiding our way to the top. . Yes, that sounds crazy! But yes, it's for real. We named him after the main character of the movie "Italo" the dog itself who is a tour guide. Italo peed everywhere and I think it's for him to find the way back. He kept on walking in front of us as if he's the leader of the squad. Oh, how entertaining this dog was!!! I can't believe that it actually happens in real life. I can even touch him without complaining. He's quiet, serious and a very amazing dog.

For every sunset is a new beginning. 

Took this shot for him to realize that this is the scene I want him to capture mine. But obviously didn't take place. So here. lol

Water break. 

It was indeed a leg-breaking hike. Never thought that it would be this difficult for a beginners like us. I'm not even sure if I am able to do this kind of adventure because of my scholiosis. Thank God I brought Advil that relieved my back pain. 
It's almost a one and a half hour of walking towards to the top of mountain. Sun has risen. But the breeze is so cold. Our bags are too heavy to carry. Finally, touch down Helipad. It's the top of the Mt. Balagbag where choppers are used to land before and now they are making it as a camping site. As we reached the helipad, we were surprised that there's a lot of people are already there and it seems like they stayed overnight. (I was like, damn guys, we should have done this too!) Almost all of them were busy taking photos of the perfect view of Sierra Madre over the Sunrise. But we choose not to join the crowd and take some good rest. Good thing Adrian is picnic ready so we spread the picnic cloth in the green grasses, place ourselves comfortably and because it's very possible, yes we took nap!  It's a kind of moment where "water is enough" we just gave our boiled eggs to Italo as a reward.

The Helipad everyone

Lovely view of Sierra Madre



 Leaving the top
As you can see we were still following Italo! 

After the photo session, we were left behind. All of the campers and other hikers just gone downhill. And guess what, Italo stayed as well. He's been waiting for us. A tour guide he really is!

Struggling under the heat. 


Going uphill might be difficult but for me it is harder to go downhill. I can feel the muscle pain in my leg every time I step down. A hell of complains for another one and a half hour of hike. But all in all, of course, it was a good experience. Whether it is difficult or easy as they say, the only way to find out is to find out. Even how other told you so, you'll never know the level of difficulty if you'll never try it on your own. Because nothing beats the experience. And now I realized, yes it's hard but maybe because I'm just a beginner or I have no proper preparation like the proper gear of hiking or warm ups but no matter how hard it was, I want to do hiking again. Nothing can substitute the feeling of stepping on top of the mountain, it's a very special place. Free from pollution, free from people and vehicle's noise, free from problem. It's the kind of place where you don't have to do something, you just have to stare and appreciate God's wonderful creation, because I believe that's the use of them. To see the beautiful heart of Jesus in His every art work, to feel His love in every air, to feel His warm embrace in every heat of sun rays and to feel His tears in every drops of water. Thank you, Lord. January 14 at 3:46 AM, as I am finishing this and while I am typing I couldn't help but to cry. I don't know why. I just feel sorry for all the complaints I have said and thought. Thank You, for another lesson learned. Thank You, for the messages. Now I know why I am always seeking for an adventure, it's because God wants me to realized something that I couldn't get in any place but only in His loving arms. 'Til our next trip, Father God. :)


Funny confessions


1. Because there's obviously no comfort room in this place. Noemi and I peed somewhere. Just very glad we had tissue, clean water and ourselves to cover each other! Lol.
2. Adrian has a crush on one of the hikers we've met on the top of Mt. Balagbag, and he secretly took photos of the girl with his hand pointing on her booty! What the! haha
3. We gave Italo our boiled eggs but we realized that we did not even offer him a drink which he needed the most! Regrets! Conscience! 
4. My scholiosis ache attacked and it's only a mild pain but I told them that it's too painful and I cannot handle the pain just for them to carry my bag! Hoho.



Related Articles

0 comments:

MORE POSTS

Weekends in Buscalan Village, Kaling.

Popular Posts